It's a jungle

"It's a jungle out there! Have fun exploring it, but watch out for swinging monkeys!"

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Treasure chest and sight words

My monkey children were invited to a pirate themed birthday party a few months ago.  What a great party!  There was treasure to be found, a real pirate, and a pirate boat pinata!  As their craft, all the kids got to decorate their own little treasure chest.  This gave me an idea for an educational game.  I made several keys out of construction paper, and printed out some simple words to teach my monkey son to read some sight words.  We called it the "Treasure Chest Game."  I told him that if he learned how to read the words on the keys they would open up the treasure chest and inside was a treasure.  He thought this was great.  He knew all his letter sounds and now it was time to teach him how to put the letter sounds together.  At first I would point to all the letters one at a time and then I would speed up saying the letters and then say the word.  Then I would get him to repeat with me both the sounds and the words.  I would only do about 5 at a time not to overwhelm him.  When there was a word that he had mastered, we would learn a new now.  After each session, when all 5 keys were read, he could open his treasure chest.  The first few times he got a small handful of smarties and when he learned 10 new words he found a new Hot Wheels car inside his treasure chest. I now have to make up some new keys for him with some new words.

No comments:

Post a Comment