It's a jungle

"It's a jungle out there! Have fun exploring it, but watch out for swinging monkeys!"

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sewing Fun!

My monkey children love to sew.  It's a great fine motor activity.  You'll need felt, a sewing needle, thread, and stuffing.  I tried using plastic sewing needles in the past but found that they don't really work, sewing needles work better.  You can use stuffing or try using some large dried beans, such as kidney beans.  My children really like the teddy bear stuffing because they like to take their little creations to bed with them.  The one thing that my children can't do is trace a shape onto the felt and cut it out.  Even I find it a little tricky.  You will have to watch your children while they do this activity, don't walk away and let them do it on their own.  Fine motor activities will help your children down the line when they are learning to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment